Wednesday, September 12

DIY Halloween Decor




Image from MouseInfo.com
After taking a stroll through some of our local stores, and big box chains, I am starting to see a trend popping up, that excites me, It's Halloween Time.  Not to copy my favorite place in the world with my favorite time to go there (yes, I am a Disney nut!).  I am so excited about Halloween this year, and since I can't go see Jack Skellington's Haunted Mansion Take-Over this year, at least I can have my own...Sarah Mansion....Take-Over and decorate to the gills in my own special way.   Since this is my little girl's first Halloween, I want it to be something special for our family.  I know she won't remember it at all, but the photographs will be fun to show her later in life, and fun to add to the photo album!

Like any gal, I opened up Pinterest, and started searching out great DIY Halloween Decor.  It's hard times, and I am going to have to decorate this place up using as little money as I can muster.  If your like me, and wanting to decorate the new diggs for the festivities, but don't have much money to spare for silly decorations that will only stay up for a month, you should check out my Halloween Decor and Crafts board on Pinterest.   There are a lot of DIY crafts that may even be able to be made using spare stuff you have lying about the house.

Chicken Wire Ghosts.
http://inspiringpretty.com
First of all, who wouldn't want ghosts brides floating around their front yard?  This is a fun way to bring your art and sculpting skills to play.  These gal's (or ghouls) can be made using simple materials like chicken wire.  They are a bit bulky, but can probably be stored and used for years to come as well.  (I always do like a good decoration that can be used again and again!)

PB Knock Off
Hanging Ghosts
by Simply Designing. 
Another good and simple pin of decoration genius I have, is the quick and simple cheese cloth ghost.  Simply take a styrofoam ball left over from your kids solar system science project, cover it is some cheese cloth, and now you have ghosts to float out of the tree's.  Don't forget to add some fun Jack-Like eyes!  These adorable ghouls can be easily stored and used for years and years to come.  These are probably one of the decorations that will be the least expensive to make, and one that I am most excited about making.  I know I know, I am a dork, but what can I say?  You can also use cheese cloth to decorate other aspects of your home, like chandeliers!


Martha Stewart
Snake Grapevine Wreath
Now, if you're looking for that festive Halloween wreath that is beautiful at first glance, and frightening when you get closer, then a grapevine wreath is the way to go.  Now of course a grapevine wreath isn't scary, but add plastic bugs, snakes, spiders, and other creepy crawlies, spray paint it black, and you have a lovely display of DIY craftsmanship, that is sure to creep a few of your trick-or-treaters out, while looking good in the process.  The wreath pictured here is just covered in snakes, which blends so well with the grapevine wreath foundation.  It looks like a wreath made entirely of snakes.  I am sure if I hang this on the door, my husband would want me to take it down immediately.  So needless to say, for the price it will cost to make, I will definitely be doing it.

By Thrifty Decor Chick
Now, if you have kids, I am sure it is safe to say, you have a large collection of black craft paper somewhere.  If not, it's not that expensive to go buy a pack at your local crafts store, and make these awesome bat decorations that can be hung inside the house, or outside on the porch.  These little guys can easily be traced off a template you can print online, or from a cookie cutter, or so many other options.  Hang them across your front door to for a 3D graphical element of surprise.

Now, of course I do have quite a few more pins, and am adding more all the time, so keep an eye out for other ideas that will keep your trick-or-treating friends on their toes.  I know I can't wait to start decorating and cooking up some spooky decor.

Happy haunting!

No comments:

Post a Comment